Ralph Stanton – Blue 1 – original Australian painting for sale at JahRoc Art Galleries, Margaret River, South West Perth WA
Ralph Stanton - Artist CV Profile
Ralph Stanton - Artist - Paintings
Ralph Stanton - Artist Biography
Before turning to art, I practised as an architect and town planner in Western Australia, heading my own firm until 1992. I attended Claremont School of Art, graduating in 1994.
I was born in Melbourne in 1941. I qualified in architecture before living in London, undertaking post-graduate studies. I have travelled widely in Europe, India, Japan, the Middle East, North and South America. I have been married since 1965 and have two adult children.
Since 2004 I have worked from a house and studio in Perth's "Northbridge" area.
I have exhibited regularly since 1996.
I seek to evoke feeling, space and atmosphere, with no particular "story" or message. More a "landscape of the mind", often strong in mood; contemplative pieces to be taken in at leisure, in different lights. I imagine it somewhat as music, speaking directly to the viewer, suggesting an often unnamed emotional state.
I am interested in expressing something of an inner light or emotional space, not personal, but non-objective and universal. My work is non-representational. It is “abstract” but is not an abstraction of any prior image; it is an attempt to capture meaning and beauty within the framework of a canvas – a timeless moment of recognition reflecting emotion and the sublime, a sort of search for order within a generally chaotic world.
I work with the interplay of surface and subsurface. I tend to work intuitively, with no initial plan other than a general approach and direction, allowing the work to evolve. I work with light, space and colour – and Perth and the West Coast generally, with its clear light and broad horizons has up until now been an absorbing source and inspiration.
With a recent installation, I attempt to express these ideas in 3D. Inside a darkened space, the work takes the form of a large jet-black cube, seemingly floating on a plinth of immaterial LED light slowly ranging through a full spectrum of colour. The viewer is invited to sit and quietly contemplate, perhaps to reflect upon his or her own “inner light” and to enjoy the experience.
- King Edward Memorial Hospital
- Claremont Medical Centre
- Maurice Zeffert Memorial Home
- Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide, London, Zurich, San Francisco, New York, Tel Aviv, Hong Kong, Nelson NZ
- Artists Foundation of Western Australia
- Royal Australian Institute of Architects
- Planning Institute of Australia
- Diploma of Art & Design (Fine Art) Claremont School of Art (WA) 1994
- Diploma of Town Planning (University of London) 1969
- Bachelor of Architecture (University of Melbourne) 1964
- 1993 - Claremont School of Art
- 1994 - Albany Art Prize Exhibition
- 1994 - Allegretta Studios Gallery
- 1995 - Allegretta Studios Gallery
- 1996 - Moores Building Gallery
- 1996 - Inside Out Design (solo)
- 1997 - PS Studios Gallery
- 1997 - Moores Building Gallery
- 1997 - Salec Minc Exhibition
- 1998 - Old Mill Gallery, York (solo)
- 1998 - Gadfly Gallery (solo)
- 1999 - Festival of Perth Art Fair
- 1999 - Salec Minc Exhibition
- 1999 - Gadfly Gallery (solo)
- 2000 - Vzualvibes Online Gallery
- 2001 - Gadfly Gallery
- 2001 - Festival of Perth (Gadfly Gallery)
- 2001 - Salec Minc Exhibition
- 2001 - Hale School Exhibition
- 2002 - Gadfly Gallery (with Geoff Wake)
- 2002 - Hale School Exhibition
- 2003 - Gadfly Gallery (with Geoff Wake)
- 2003 - Hale School Exhibition
- 2004 - Gadfly Gallery (with Geoff Wake)
- 2004 - Hale School Exhibition
- 2005 - Several commercial exhibitions
- 2006 - Gadfly Gallery (with Chubby Button)
- 2006 - Minawarra Exhibition
- 2006 - Elements Gallery "4 Painters" (with Geoff Wake, Helen Forbes and Jules Sher)
- 2006 - "Artitude" Exhibition at PCEC
- 2006 - Cossack Awards (Shire of Roebourne)
- 2006 - Hale School Exhibition
- 2006 - Mahoneys Gallery "4 Painters" (with Geoff Wake, Helen Forbes and Jules Sher)
- 2007 - Elements Gallery "4 Painters" (with Geoff Wake, Helen Forbes and Jules Sher)2007 - Hale School Exhibition
- 2007 - "Artitude" Exhibition, Burswood
- 2009 - Gadfly Gallery Exhibition
- 2010 - Several local government and community exhibitions.
- 2014 - "Dark Light" installation using LED light forms- at PSAS Fremantle, (with Geoff Wake, Tom Muller and Horst Kornberger)
- 2016 – “[email protected]” private exhibition in Birchgrove, NSW
- 2016 – Harrop & Co Nedlands WA
- 2016 – Kerrie Lowe Gallery, Newtown Sydney NSW
- 2017 – Square One Studios group exhibition
- 2017 – “Chaos or Control” at Stella Downer Fine Art with Sq1 Studios
- New Residence and Studio at 28 Church Street Perth: - In collaboration with Nash & Ghersenich Architects–
- RAIA Residential Award Commendation 2005
- Town of Vincent – Residential Design Award 2005