In demand Kyle Hughes-Odgers is a Perth Visual Artist, Illustrator, Public Art/Street Mural Artist. He has been commissioned to do many Western Australian Street Art projects, has published 2 children’s books, and had numerous successful local, national and international solo and group exhibitions.
Enjoy Getting to know….Kyle Hughes-Odgers
When did you first feel the desire to be artistic and realise you had talent?
I never really thought about it. I was always interested in drawing growing up it was just something I was compelled to do.
Where did you learn your art?
What inspires you most?
Life, Exploring new ideas, Adventure.
What message are you sending to the viewer of your art?
My work is mostly narrative based with each individual story or painting adding to the greater story across the complete body of work. Each painting is a small part of a much bigger world.
Describe your studio…
Nice high ceilings and wooden floors, dry areas for drawing/planning and a messy area for painting and experiments. I share the space with my wife Kara Peacock.
What mediums do you use and why?
I like experimenting with lots of different mediums, whatever is the best option for the outcome.
What are you working on now?
My next solo exhibition at Turner Galleries in June, my third children’s book and a few public art projects.
Kyle Hughes-Odgers (b.1981) is a multi-disciplinary Australian Visual Artist who works locally and globally on art projects across various formats – Murals, Gallery Exhibitions and 3D installations. His work explores colour theory, abstraction and narrative – Inspired by nature, the built environment and human behaviour. Kyle Hughes-Odgers originally began creating artwork on the street across cities in Australia during the early 2000’s. Progressing his work both on and off the street, Kyle held his first major solo exhibition with Turner Galleries in Perth Western Australia, 2010. This launched a path of exhibitions and public art commissions across the world – including solo exhibitions in Perth, Melbourne, Berlin, Amsterdam, Madrid and Los Angeles. His work is held in numerous private and public collections worldwide. In addition to his exhibition works, Kyle has worked on public art projects internationally and has created large scale murals in New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles, London, Sheffield, Hong Kong, Singapore, Madrid, Berlin, Cambodia and at home in Australia.
Key projects/commissions include:
- Perth international Airport – 80m x 6m building exterior (including 3D elements and LED lighting design). + Public Silo Trail Merredin – 4 x 35m silos (12 storeys each) Western Australia.
- Cleanaway – 60m x 12.5m artwork for the largest recycling centre in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Murdoch University – 40m x 2.4m
- Washington DC – 15m x 60m (4 storey building exterior across 2 elevations)
- Mitchell Freeway – 15m x 15m (4 storey) Perth
- In 2013 Kyle Hughes-Odgers and Meg Mckinlay (Author) won the SCBWI Crystal Kite Award for Australia/New Zealand for the children’s book Ten Tiny Things published through Fremantle Press. He currently has 5 children’s books published in Australia, New Zealand, Spain, China and Turkey.
- A Normal Man Does Serious Things. Backwoods Gallery Melbourne, Australia
- Between Earth and the Moon.Turner Galleries Perth,Australia
- I Can’t Predict the Future. Adhoc Gallery Vienna, Austria.
- Colour and Movement. Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- Silence. Turner Galleries Perth , Australia.
- A Survival Guide. Swinton gallery Madrid, Spain.
- Glitch. Okazi gallery Berlin, Germany.
- Satellite.Turner Gallery Perth, Australia.
- On a Small Island. (original paintings from the book) State Library of Western Australia.
- All The Wrong Places. CAVE Gallery Los Angeles, USA.
- Repetitive Sequences. Walls Gallery Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- A Thousand Lights from a Hundred Skies. Turner Gallery Perth, Australia
- If We Can’t Control the Boat, Let’s Control the Ocean. Okazi gallery Berlin, Germany
- You Just Have Your Eyes Closed. Turner Gallery Perth, Australia
- Wood and Nails. Distracted Gallery Perth, Australia
- So Many Broken Umbrellas. Gorker Gallery Melbourne, Australia
- Let’s Start a Fire. Keith and Lottie Gallery Perth, Australia
- Kill the Beast. Keith and Lottie Gallery Perth, Australia
- You Can Take My Money But You Will Never Get My Arms. Distracted Gallery
- Who is Twiggy Thip’ Little Creatures Fremantle, Australia
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- – Beaux Lane 2m x 15m. Site specific exterior. Mt Lawley Australia 2015
- – Glass tile Mosaic 3m x 12m. Site specific exterior DMG architects. Perth Australia 2015
- – Giant Children’s book. In collaboration with Perth International arts festival, James Foley and 8 public schools,
- created as a gift from the children of Perth to the little girl giant for the Giants Royal de Luxe event.
- – Wonderwalls. 2 Storey. Site specific exterior. Port Adelaide S.Australia
- – BREC Bunbury 3 Storey. Site specific exterior. Bunbury Australia
- – Art Basel – Miami
- – Art & About / Ambush Gallery. Darling Quarter. Sydney Australia
- – Albany Art Prize – Finalist – Vancouver Arts Centre – Albany WA
- – Melbourne Art Fair / Represented by Turner Galleries – Melbourne
- – Public – Form Gallery – Perth
- – Supermarket – Stockholm Independent Art Fair – Sweden
- – Re.Discover – Bunbury Regional art gallery Australia
- – Perth International Airport.Artwork, 3D and LED light installations. 6m x 80m in total width. Site specific exte- riot, Australia
- – Nst Mural Project. 2 sides of 4 storey building . Site specific exterior. Washington DC. USA
- – The Giants View. 4 storeys x 4 storeys. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
- – Art & About Darling Quarter. 2.4m x 2.4 x 4 (cube). Site specific exterior. Sydney Australia
- – Barkly Square. 5m x 3m. Site specific exterior. Melbourne Australia
- – Globe Lane 140 William Street 10m x 10m. Site specific exterior. WA
- – Stockland Baldivis. Collab with Brad Eastman. 2 walls x 4m x 15m. Site specific exterior.W.Australia
- – Winter – B&B gallery Sheffield – Deck the walls
- – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles – Summer collection
- – Walls Gallery Amsterdam
- – Beyond Eden Art Fair – L.A Municipal Art Gallery
- – Neon Golden Above Second Gallery – Hong Kong
- – Scope Art Fair – Munich
- – Five – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles
- – Crest Art Show – Brooklyn NYC
- Fall – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles
- Berlin Gallery week – MMX Gallery Berlin -Dig Faster – Okazi Gallery Berlin
- The Hours – Tate Gallery Sydney
- KingBrown – Klughaus Gallery NYC
- Bright – Okazi gallery and Delight Skateboards – Berlin
- Crest Art Show – Brooklyn NYC
- Scope Miami – C.Emerson Fine Art, Booth B37 – Miami Florida
- Outpost Project – Cockatoo Island, Sydney Australia
- Go Go Gocco – Outre gallery – Melbourne, Perth and Sydney Australia
- Grassy Lot Show – Ludlow Street. L.E.S – New York City
- Street Art Saved My Life:39 New York Stories – C.A.V.E gallery – Venice Los Angeles
- Sergeant Paper – Sergeant Paper Art Store – Paris France 2010
- Microcosm – Lofi Exhibition Space – Sydney
- Last Chance Studio Tour – Perth, Melbourne, Sydney
- Street Art New York – Factory Fresh Gallery – Brooklyn NYC
- Albany Art Prize – Finalist – Vancouver Arts Centre – Albany WA
- Overgrowth 2 – Last Chance Studio – Perth
- Condor Tower Carpark – Condor Tower – Perth
- Unwrapped 09 – United Galleries- Perth
- New Eyes Open – Ambush Gallery – Sydney
- Street Crush – Alphabeta Gallery – Brooklyn NY
- Silver – PICA – Perth
- Kids Today – MTV Gallery – Sydney
- Broken Hands – Per Square Metre Gallery – Melbourne
- 12×12 – Ambush Gallery – Sydney
- Semi-Permanent – Breadbox Gallery – Perth
- Kingbrown 1 – Launch Breadbox – Perth
- The Salvation Show – The Old Pallas Hotel – Perth
Public Art (selected):
- 2020 – Icons 50m x 5m Site speci c exterior. Melville Library,WA
- 2020 – Field Notes 12m x 16m Site speci c exterior. Mt Hawthorn,WA
- 2020 – Large Landscape 12m x 100m Site speci c exterior. Ellenbrook WA
- 2020 – 26 on Charles – South Perth,WA. Perforateed Screen (4m x 50m),
- Concrete relief (3 storey) and 3d wall sculpture (2m x 8m)
- 2019 – Westfjords Residency. 6 x Site speci c exterior public works.Westfjords, Iceland
- 2019 – HKwalls 3 Storey. Exterior.Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- 2019 – The Qtr Acre 15m x 6m Site speci c exterior. Applecross, WA
- 2018 – Mt Kubbi 10m x 2.5m Site speci c exterior. Isafjordur, Iceland
- 2018 – Ascend. 40m x 6m Site speci c exterior. Madrid, Spain
- 2018 – 4 x Animated illustrations collab w Peacock Visuals.Yagan Square Digital Tower. Perth CBD. 2018 – Karratha Health Campus 2.2m x 20m Exterior. Karratha,WA
- 2018 – Residential 2.5m x 7m Exterior. North Perth,WA
- 2017 – Residential 2.5m x 7m Exterior. Highgate,WA
- 2017 – Lalla Rookah 2.5m x 8m Exterior. Perth CBD
- 2017 – Public Art Silo Trail – 4 x 35m silos (12 storeys each) Exterior. Merredin WA
- 2017 – Perfect Match 15m width x 5m. Exterior. Newtown, Sydney NSW
- 2017 – Recycling Centre – Glass tile (3m x 5m) Exterior. 60m x 12.5m. Sth Guildford
- 2017 – Bottleyard 3m x 6m Exterior. Northbridge WA
- 2017 – 570 William Street. 3D sculptural cutouts. 2 storey. Exterior. Perth WA
- 2016 – Caloundra Regional gallery. 7m x 14m. Exterior. Queensland
- 2016 – Schiavello showroom. Interior. Perth WA
- 2015 – Beaux Lane 2m x 15m. Exterior. Mt Lawley WA
- 2015 – Glass tile Mosaic 3m x 12m. Site speci c exterior DMG architects. Perth WA
- 2015 – Gaint Children’s book with 4 public schools of Perth as a gift from the children of Perth to the little girl giant as
- part of the Giant Marionettes event.
- 2015 – Wonderwalls. 2 Storey. Site specific exterior. Port Adelaide S.Australia
- 2015 – BREC Bunbury 3 Storey. Site specific exterior. Bunbury Australia
- 2014 – Baldivis. Collab with Brad Eastman. 2 walls x 4m x 15m. Site specific exterior. W.Australia
- 2014 – Nst Mural Project. 2 sides of 4 storey building . Site specific exterior. Washington DC. US
- 2014 – Art & About Darling Quarter. 2.4m x 2.4 x 4 (cube). Site specific exterior. Sydney Australia
- 2014 – Barkly Square. 5m x 3m. Site specific exterior. Melbourne Australia
- 2014 – From Above. Artwork, 3D and LED light installations. 6m x 80m in total width. Site specific exterior. Perth International Airport. Australia
- 2014 – The Giants View. 4 storeys x 4 storeys. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
- 2014 – Darkroom Concept Bunbury 5m x 3m. Site specific exterior. Bunbury Australia
- 2014 – Globe Lane 140 William Street 10m x 10m. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
- 2013 – 1006 Hay St DMG architects 6m x 40m stainless steel perforated screen. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
- 2013 – Great Hall – Site specific interior CADS Sheffield England
- 2013 – MINI Australia. 15m billboard on Broadway Street. TVC and online artist feature. Sydney Australia
- 2013 Jamie’s Italian. Jamie Oliver restaurant. Site specific interior. Perth Australia.
- 2012 Lock Lane. Cultural Centre. Site specific exterior approx 50m width. WA
- 2012 Gugeri Street Claremont. Site specific exterior approx 10m in height. WA
- 2012 Electra Street Bundaberg. Site specific exterior. 7 artists in 7 days. QLD
- 2012 Wedge Street Port Hedland. Site specific exterior, approx 30m and 10m. FORM. WA
- 2012 Gold Lane Subiaco. Site specific exterior approx 15m width. WA
- 2012 Planet Books Mt Lawley. Site specific exterior approx 20m width. WA
- 2011 DMG architects. 2 x 1.2 x 2.4m Artworks on board. Private commission WA
- 2010 Murdoch University ECL Courtyard. Site specific exterior installation on board across 7 panels approx 45m in total width.Murdoch University Art Collection.WA
- 2010 Forty Hands. Site Specific interior. Private commission. Singapore.
- 2010 Perth International Art Festival, CBD Laneway WA
- 2009 St Jerome’s Laneway, Big Day Out, Belvedere 1x, Western Power building – Exterior
- Insite Magazine
- Juxtapoz online
- Skywest inflight magazine
- Brooklyn Street art
- Street Art New York
- The West Australian
- Cracker Your Wardrobe Korea
- Artist’s Chronicle
- The Wire Magazine
- Xpress Fashion
- The Vine
- The Age
- Sunday Times
- Relative magazine
- Empty magazine
- We are the image makers
- Kingbrown magazine
- Woodentoy magazine
- Murdoch University
- Edith Cowan University
- City of Perth
- Art Angels Turner galleries,
- Royal Perth Hospital
- DMG Architects
- Kerry Stokes collection.
- 2012 Residency – FORM Courthouse Gallery – Port Hedland, Australia
- 2012 The Ironlak Graffiti Competition REGION 1. Australia/New Zealand.
- GOLD: Ayres, Creepy, Daek, Fecks and Ruset.
- 2012 Finalist – Lethbridge Art Prize, Queensland
- 2011 Artist in Residence (2 weeks) – Santa Maria College, Perth
- 2011 Development – Department of Culture and the Arts Western Australia
- 2010 Finalist – Albany Art Prize, City of Albany
- 2009 Artflight – Department of Culture and the Arts Western Australia
- 2017 One Thousand Trees – Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published: Fremantle Press, Aus/NZ + A7 Kitap,Turkey.
- 2015 Can a Skeleton have an X-ray? – Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published: Fremantle Press, Aus/NZ + Mtn Editores, Spain + A7 Kitap, Turkey.
- 2014 On a Small Island – Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published: Fremantle Press, Aus/NZ + United Sky (Beijing) New Media, China.
- 2012 Ten Tiny Things – Written Meg McKinlay, Illustrated Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published: Fremantle Press, Aus/NZ +Nar Publishing, Turkey.
Kyle Hughes-Odgers Paintings
Kyle Hughes-Odgers Sold Paintings at JahRoc Galleries
We currently have no Kyle Hughes_Odgers available at JahRoc Galleries.