New Plymouth artist, Harry Moores, describes his work as a contemporary look at portraiture. His work taps into the equivocal nature of abstraction, fusing this with lucid representations, and often, unmistakable familiarity.
Harry Moores was born in October 1987 and raised in New Plymouth. His interest in art started in high school, where he was taught by bronze artist, John Tullet, at New Plymouth Boys High School. After leaving school Moores and his brother set up an art studio called ‘The Drawing Room’ where he began to create sketches that were instructed more by intuition than by volition. He states:
“I found harmony in the facility and spaces of these lines, and I later found out that I was in some shape or form ‘automatic drawing’. I continued to draw and paint realistically before combining the ambiguity of automatism*, with realistic representations of people. I feel that there is something between these two opposites that touches at a sensation of art.”
Moores aims to find a meeting point between two opposites in his art, and, in the process allow the viewer to see/feel something that is not quite understood. He believes that the whole world is founded on dualistic principals, but likes to think there is a meeting point where both things can have a sense of correctness and not alienate and oppose.
*Automatism: A method of producing pictorial art, as paintings and collages, associated chiefly with the dadaists and surrealists, in which the artist strives to allow the impulses of the unconscious to guide the hand in matters of line, colour, and structure without the interference of conscious choice.
- 2010 1st TSB Community Trust Painting Award, Taranaki Art Awards
- 2010 2nd Peoples Choice Award, Taranaki Art Awards
- 2021 2nd Peoples Choice Award, NZ Art Show
- 2005 ‘People’ The Drawing Room, New Plymouth, NZ.
- 2010 ‘Vivid’ Kina Gallery, New Plymouth, NZ.
- 2010 NZ Art Show, Wellington, NZ.
- 2010 Solo Exhibition Real TArt, New Plymouth, NZ.
- 2011 ‘Vivid’ Percy Thompson Gallery, Stratford, NZ.
- 2011 ‘Mountain Men’ Exhibition, Taranaki, NZ.
- 2011 Sponsors Evening NZ Art Show, Museum Hotel, Wellington, NZ.
- 2011 Life Education Trust Art Exhibition, NZ Academy of Fine Arts, Wellington,NZ
- 2012 BDO Partners’ Annual Conference Auction, Plymouth Hotel, New Plymouth,NZ
- 2012 Masquerade Ball Auction
- 2013 NZ Art Show, Wellington, NZ
- 2014 Life Education Trust Art Exhibition, NZ Academy of Fine Arts, Wellington,NZ
- 2015 Orakei School Art Exhibition, Auckland, NZ
- 2019 Mt Albert Grammar School Art Exhibition, Auckland, NZ
- 2019 Carmel College Art Fusions Exhibition, Auckland, NZ
- 2019 Kings College School Art Exhibition, Auckland, NZ
- 2019 Orakei School Art Exhibition, Auckland, NZ
- 2019 Te Arai Lodge, Resident Artist, Auckland, NZ (featuring on Grand Designs)
- 2019 St Josephs School Art Auction, New Plymouth, NZ
- 2019 Exhibition, Koru Gallery, New Plymouth, NZ
- 2019 Exhibition, JD Reid Gallery, New Plymouth, NZ
- 2020 New Works, Koru Gallery, New Plymouth, NZ
- 2020 Orakei School Art Exhibition, Auckland, NZ
- 2020 Auckland Art Show, NZ
- 2020 Womans Refuge Art Auction, New Plymouth, NZ
- 2020 Taranaki Art Awards, NZ
- 2020 Auckland Grammar Art House Tour, Auckland, NZ
- 2021 NZ Art Show, Wellington, NZ
- 2021 ‘Preview’ Taranaki Arts Trail, Percy Thompson, NZ
Harry Moores Paintings
We currently have no Harry Moores Paintings available at JahRoc Galleries.
Contact Us to enquire about Harry Moores