Matthew Ryan – Graal Vessel – Green Bowl – original art glass for sale at JahRoc Art Galleries, Margaret River, South West Perth WA
Matthew Ryan - Artist CV Profile
Matthew Ryan - Glass Artist
Matthew Ryan - Artist Biography
Education: 1990 - 1991 Trade Certificate in Flat Glass and Glazing
Exhibitions and Collections
- 2007 - Glass Plus. Glebe Glass Artists Gallery. Ausglass group exhibition.
- 2007 - Finalist - Willoughby Art Prize. 3D open award.
- 2007 - Finalist - Ranamok Glass Prize.
- 2007 - Young Talent. Glebe Glass Artists Gallery. Group Exhibition.
- 2007 - Castalia. Gallery O. Group Exhibition.
- 2007 - Black and White. Glebe Glass Artists Gallery. Group Exhibition.
- 2007 - Encore. Glebe Glass Artists Gallery. Group Exhibition.
- 2007 - Finalist - Tom Malone Glass Prize / Western Australian Art Gallery.
- 2006 - Some Kind of Blue. Glebe Glass Artists Gallery. Group Exhibition.
- 2006 - Winner - People's choice award Willoughby Art Prize.
- 2006 - Finalist - Willoughby Art Prize 3D open award.
- 2006 - Finalist - Ranamok Glass Prize.
- 2006 - Sydney Art Fair. Represented by SOHO Galleries.
- 2006 - "New Glass by Matthew Ryan for Blowfish Glass". Bathurst Regional Art Gallery.
Private commissions and collections in Australia and the UK.
My work is inspired by structure and pattern in nature. The investigation into ordering principles and geometry reveals nature's sublime construction to the path of least resistance. I am interested in the reflection, transmission, and the manipulation of light and material.
Starting my career as a 13yr old in the stained glass industry, I studied flat glass and glazing as an indentured apprentice whilst working in the stained glass/art glass field.
To expand my vocabulary of skills, I worked extensively in bent and curved glass as well as freehand and automated sheet cutting. In 2001 to further my career I travelled to the UK to study medieval glass restoration where by chance I was employed as a glassblower's assistant.
In the two years in the UK, I worked with Swedish furnace builders, factory/ studio masters and designers. After returning to Australia, I designed and constructed a new glassblowing facility for Blowfish Glass for whom I currently make a production range and art glass.
2004 - 2007 Blowfish Glass. Brookvale, NSW.
Construction and management of Blowfish Glass Studio. Designer and Maker for Blowfish Glass production and Art Glass range.
2003 - 2004 Colin Heaney Glass Studio. Byron Bay, NSW.
Assistant/ Gaffer to Colin Heaney and Noel Hart. Technician.
2002 Neil Wilkin Glass Studio. Frome, UK. Glassblower to Neil Wilkin for Peter Bremers and Menno Jonker.
2002 Glabu AB Glasbruksutrustningar of Dalby, Sweden and North Devon, U.K. Furnaceman / Furnace technician.
2001 - 2003 Bath Aqua Glass and Bristol Blue Glass. UK. Glassblower / Technician.
2000 - 2001 Bent and Curved Glass. Mortdale, NSW. Glass worker.
2000 Finns Stained Glass, Peakhurst, NSW. Glass Worker / Course educator.
1997 - 2000 Private commissions.
1996 - 1997 Lawrence Leadlights. Wetherill Park, NSW. Glass worker.
1996 K & K Glass. Arndell Park, NSW Glass worker.
1993 - 1995 Paddy Robinson/ Finglinna Studios. Sofala, NSW.
Finns Stained Glass. Peakhurst, NSW. Glass worker / Course educator.
1993 Willoughby Park Centre. Willoughby, NSW. Stained glass course educator.
1992 - 1993 Exquisite Stained Glass. Mosman, NSW. Glass worker.
1987 - 1992 Spectrum Stained Glass. Concord West, NSW. Glass worker / Course educator.