Margaret River Artist Russell Ord is an international professional photographer, regularly published in many prominent surf publications, he has graced 25 magazine covers and is highly respected for his ability to capture moments that would seem impossible to record. While other photographers shoot from the safety of a boat or ski in the channel, Russell shoots from the water and is described as someone who has taken the art of big wave surf photography to a new level.
From his home town of Margaret River, Western Australia, Russell Ord, steers clear of the crowds. Instead, he will venture out into secret spots on the rugged WA coast or locations more than 15km offshore in the Southern Ocean, where he is at peace swimming into some of the heaviest waves imaginable. His shots provide a unique view into the depth of the impact zone.
“The last few years I’ve kind of gone away from capturing every single moment, and now I’m just trying to get that one moment that’s challenging to myself. So that means swimming right into the thick of things and seeing what we can do. Your whole life revolves around that; what you eat, how you breathe and how you train.” – Russell Ord
- Witzig Gallery, N.S.W.
- Mukau Gallery, Cowaramup, W.A.
- JahRoc Gallery, Margaret River, W.A.
- 2011 Units Stills Photographer and Promo Poster image – “Drift”
- 2012 Stills Photographer, Mago Films, “Recipes that Rock”
- 2013 Surfing stunt double – “Kill me three times”
- Ord Valley Muster
- Gourmet Escape, Margaret River
- Margaret River Pro
- Margaret River Classic
- ABC Radio interviews on various subjects
- 2012 Public Talk – UWA – WA Underwater Photographic Society, Perth
- Margaret River Camera Club
- 2014 “Shooting from experience”, Photographic workshop at Emergence Creative Festival, 2014!
- 2011 K38 Heavy Water Award Saving Jacob Trette, California, U.S.
- Letter from Consulate General of the United States of America
- Oakley Big Wave Awards – honored award for rescue efforts, N.S.W.
- 2012 Top 20 Finalist Nikon Surf Photographer of the Year
- ASL Oakley Big Wave Awards – Finalist
- Featured Photographer – The Open Photography Competition! AIPP Awards – Illustrative and Weddings
- 2013 Ion; The Barrel Competition, 1st place
- 3rd place, International Loupe Awards
- 2008 Ord Photographics, Sitting Room Gallery, Cowaramup
- 2010 Soggybones Magazine Photo Editor & Mentor – assistance in the build and launch, until 2012/13
- 2011 Saving Jacob Trette Mavericks, California
- Surf Aid International – Ambassador
- Phase One – Ambassador! Aqua Tech Water Housing – Ambassador
- Ord Photographic Agency
- Elements Margaret River “One Shot”
- Nikon Professional Services AIPP
- Nikon Professional Services
Russell Ord Photographs
Russell Ord “From the Sea” photographic exhibition at JahRoc Galleries – 6th March – 19th March 2015.
“From the Sea” is a new photographic exhibition by local photographer Russell Ord and will be open for viewing at JahRoc Galleries on the 6th March 2015. For two weeks, his imagery will add to the creative vibe in Margaret River in conjunction with the 3rd annual Emergence Creative Festival.
Bringing together like-minded creatives from across the globe for a four day sensory overload, Emergence Creative Festival is an unique event set in the beautiful surrounds of Margaret River.
Russell Ord is one of the talented local artist collaborating with the Festival and his photographic work on display at JahRoc Galleries allows participants an up close view of the ocean usually only seen by Mother Nature herself.
Living in Margaret River for over 12 years, Russell Ord, has established his photographic business primarily within the surfing industry. In the last 5 years, his imagery has caught the eye of reputable galleries and clients which has seen his work promoted within the art world.
At home, Russell chooses to steer clear of the crowds. Instead, he will venture out into secret spots on the rugged WA coast or locations more than 15km offshore in the Southern Ocean, where he is at peace swimming into some of the heaviest waves imaginable. His shots provide a unique view into the depth of the impact zone.
“The last few years I’ve kind of gone away from capturing every single moment, and now I’m just trying to get that one moment that’s challenging to myself. So that means swimming right into the thick of things and seeing what we can do”. – Russell Ord
“One Shot” Documentary by RUSSELL ORD
“As a surfing photographer, Russ is a special kind of maniac. He lives out there on the boundary between shootable and deadly, and too often has risked his neck to swim out and immortalise some of the heaviest water ever shot. But plonked out there in the middle of the wild old ocean, he also has a subtle skill for giving that chaos certain poignance and feeling, and that skill doesn’t come easy.”
– Sean Doherty, Editor & Journalist