Greg Crowe - Artist - Ceramics - PotteryEstablished and talented potter Greg Crowe lives in Perth, Western Australia. He is well known for his stoneware which is wood fired and salt glazed. He focuses on form and texture, and delivers a range of domestic functional pottery as well as more experimental large forms. His background as a ceramics lecturer, travel and residency in the USA, and many exhibitions over his 30 or more years in this field has helped Greg forge a successful career in the ceramic art world.
Greg Crowe - Artist BiographyPerth ceramic artist Greg Crowe produces a wide range of pottery in stoneware, wood fired and salt glazed. The pots have evolved over the last 30 years but my major focus on form, texture and exploring the possibilities of working with the wheel have remained consistent. I have always been interested in the opportunities provided by the local materials (mainly clay) and I am focusing more effort to use local clays in clay bodies, slips, glazes, wadding etc. My work includes a wide range of domestic / functional pottery as well as more experimental forms which explore texture and throwing. I was lecturer in charge of ceramics at Carine TAFE for 17 years and while I very much enjoy contact with students in the teaching environment, it is great to be able to renew my focus on the workshop at Hovea. In 2008 I undertook a Mc Knight Residency for Ceramic Artists at the Northern Clay Center, Minnesota, U.S.A. I have also demonstrated and exhibited elsewhere in the U.S.A. and also in Canada, Japan, France, Denmark, Ireland and Singapore. In 1980 I established the Hovea Pottery in the hills east of Perth and am constantly firing up new work there 30 years on.
Greg Crowe - CV
- Born 1953, England , emigrated to Australia 1963
- 1979 Bachelor of Arts, Design ( Ceramics )
- 2004 Gallows Gallery, Perth
- 1999 Fremantle Art Centre
- 1990 Fremantle Art Centre
- 1986 Fremantle Art Centre
- 1982 Fremantle Art Centre
- 1982 Undercroft, University of Western Australia
- 1980 Mundaring Art Centre (Artist in Residence)
- 1980 Sir Claude Hotchkin Gallery, Albany
- 1979 Mt Lawley College of Advanced Education (Artist in Residence )
- 1978 Sir Claude Hotchkin Gallery, Albany
- 2009 McKnight exhibition, Northern Clay Center, Minneapolis, Mn, U.S.
- 2008 What Lies Beneath - Mundaring Art Centre - Mundaring , W.A.
- 2008 A Taste of Wood firing - Woodfire 2008, Sturt, N.S.W.
- 2008 Woodfiring Survey Exhibition - Freeland Gallery - Sydney, N.S.W.
- 2006 Ceramics Ireland International Festival - National Craft Gallery, Kilkenny,Ireland
- 2006 Encrusted - Australian Wood Firing - Invitational Skepsi on Swanston Gallery, Melbourne, Victoria
- 2005 Beyond Earth - Exploring the plastic limits of clay, Manly Art Gallery, NSW
- 2005 Australian Wood Fire Survey Exhibition 2005, Canberra ACT
- 2004 Celebrating the Master II - 45 Renowned Australian Master Ceramicists Skepsi on Swanston, Melbourne, Victoria
- 2004 Ceramic Arts Assoc. of W.A. - Annual exhibition, Gallows Gallery, Perth (Winner)
- 2003 Ceramic Arts Assoc. of W.A. - Annual exhibition, Gallows Gallery, Perth (Award, 2nd)
- 2002 Ceramic Arts Assoc. of W.A. - Annual exhibition, Gallows Gallery, Perth
- 2002 Annual Pottery Studio Tour - Minnesota Potters of the Upper St Croix River Valley
- 1999 Diverse 9th National Ceramics Conference - Delegates exhibition
- 1997 Mundaring Shire Acquisition Award, (2 pieces acquired )
- 1996 The Bowled and the Beautiful, Moores building, Fremantle
- 1995 Celebrating the Fellows, Craftwest Gallery, Perth
- Greg Crowe has participated in numerous group exhibitions since 1977 in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Townsville and Japan.
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Western Australian Art Gallery
- Queensland Art Gallery
- Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville
- Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minnesota, U.S.
- Utah State University Gallery, Logan, Utah, U.S.
- 2004 1st Prize, Ceramic Arts Assoc. of W.A. Annual members exhibition, Gallows Gallery, Perth
- 1990 1st Prize, Austceram Exhition and Conference, Perth.
Significant Career Events
- 2008 Northern Clay Centre, Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S. - 3 month residency.
- Mid - Career Fellowship, Artswa.
- 2006 Singapore - Workshops and master class.
- Ireland - Demonstrations, 3 day Ceramics Ireland International Festival
- U.S. Minnesota - 4 day workshop, Edina Art Centre
- Canada - Red Deer, Alberta, 5 day workshop
- Metchosin, Vancouver Island, 2 day demonstration.
- 2003 - 2007 Lecturer - Ceramics and Design, Central TAFE, Perth, W.A.
- 2002 Worked in Minnesota, U.S. for two months (Workshop of Jeff Oestreich) Lectured, demonstrated and led workshops in Minnesota, Utah, France, Denmark, Japan and Singapore.
- 1985 - 2002 Lecturer in charge of Ceramics, Carine TAFE, Perth, W.A.
- 1999 Co - chair, 9th National Ceramics Conference, Perth, W.A.
- 1998 Attended Hyperclay, Gulgong, NSW
- 1996 - 1998 Designed and constructed "Anagama" style wood kiln (16 cubic metres), SW W.A.
- 1996 Hovea Pottery, fulltime pottery.
- 1995 Elected President Ceramic Arts Association of W.A. ( President 1995 - 2005
- 1995 - 1999 Chair - Organising Committee, 9th National Ceramics Conference, Perth, W.A.
- 1995 Attended Claysculpt, Gulgong. NSW
- 1992 Worked with Svend Bayer, Devon, UK
- 1989 Attended Wood Firing Symposium, La Bourne, France
- 1980 Hovea Pottery, established in the hills, east of Perth.
- 2003 - 2007 Lecturer - Ceramics and Design - Central TAFE
- 1985 - 2002 Lecturer Ceramics - Carine TAFE (West Coast College of TAFE / North Metropolitan College of TAFE)
- Coordinator of the Advanced Diploma in Studio Ceramics and ceramic units for various art and design courses.
- Established in this period the most extensive range of ceramic facilities in Western Australia which included as well as the normal range of gas and electric kilns a full range of wood, salt, oil and low fire facilities.
- Greg Crowe has also been guest lecturer at:
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- all TAFE colleges in Perth (many a number of times)
- Albany Summer School (twice)
- Country Western Australia through Arts Access
Greg Crowe – Spherical Pot$480.00 Purchase
Greg Crowe – Platter 8$400.00 Purchase
Greg Crowe – Faceted Vase 6$240.00 Purchase
Greg Crowe – Bottle 5$480.00 Purchase
Greg Crowe – Bottle 4$700.00 Purchase
Greg Crowe – Bottle 2$720.00 Purchase