Debbie Mackenzie - Artist - Paintings
Delving into childhood memories and a deep affection of the landscape, Debbie Mackenzie fills the canvas with atmospheric scenes that command a sense of place. Growing up on the Mornington Peninsular and holidaying on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria has provided Debbie with an abundance of visual material. There is an intensity to her landscapes that places the viewer within them, whilst the rolling hills and expansive sky emanate a feeling of deep calm. Debbie Mackenzie embarked on her fine art journey after a successful career in the advertising industry as a graphic designer and held her first exhibition in 2012. With a variety of exhibitions under her belt and an abundance of followers, Debbie is loving the journey.
In awe of our environment and all its beauty of promising landscapes, dreamy atmospheres and the melancholy contemplation of the sky, is all part of Debbie’s engagement with the romantic.
Debbie’s vision is about leaving the high pressured, time poor quality of modern life, escaping into the whimsical landscape of rolling green hills and grand old trees and majestic skies. Placing the viewer beneath a vast and epic sky that correctly reminds us of where we fit in nature, small but surrounded by beauty on a grand scale.
Return to the days of a carefree childhood, to lie on the grass and watch clouds float by, not a care in the world. To indulge in that feeling when you view the work, best describes Debbie’s motivation.
Her work is a reflection of personal and individual experience from childhood to today. Spending time between her home on the Mornington Peninsula and her beloved family holiday shack in Peterborough (with a rich history going back 4 generations), has provided Debbie with a surplus of visual memories!
As Simon Gregg says in his book , New Romantics, “today Romanticism implies an aversion to digital technology. To embrace the natural world is to cleanse and purify the soul against the madness of the modern world. Artists who turn to nature today may be seeking such a spiritual respite.”
Statement for Manyung Gallery Mt Eliza September Exhibition 2015
Debbie Mackenzie Biography
Debbie Mackenzie is an artist residing on the Mornington Peninsula. After studying Graphic Design and a successful career in the advertising industry, Debbie has embarked upon a journey into the romantic. Her paintings are largely about reverie; a sense of place, a desire to be there.
Spending her childhood between the peninsula (her home) and the century old family beach house at Peterborough on the Great Ocean Road, has provided a rich and endless source of inspiration. Under the guidance of renowned artist Dr Tony Hanning, Debbie has been able to finesse her talent.
Debbie has exhibited in numerous art shows and group exhibitions with work in many private collections across the country.
1987 Graphic Design, Monash University
- 2019, Manyung Gallery, Flinders
- 2018, Manyung Gallery, Mt.Eliza
- 2018 Manyung Gallery, Malvern
- 2017 Manyung Gallery, MtEliza
- 2015, Manyung Gallery, Mt.Eliza
- 2015, Oakhill Gallery, Mornington
- 2016 Manyung Gallery Malvern, “Land, Sea and Sky”
- 2016 Manyung Gallery Mt.Eliza, “Visualising our Landscape”
- 2015 Manyung Gallery, “Festive Christmas Exhibition”
- 2015 Mt.Eliza Art & Design Show, MENPS Mt.Eliza
- 2014 Mt.Eliza Art & Design Show, MENPS, Mt.Eliza
- 2014 Somers Arts Fair
- 2014 Derinya Art Show, Derinya Primary School, Frankston South
- 2014 Art with Heart, Truly Deeply, Charity 21, South Melbourne
- 2014 Art Red Hill, Red Hill Consolidated School, Red Hill
- 2013 Mt Eliza Art Design Show, MENPS Mt.Eliza
- 2013 Derinya Art Show, Derinya Primary School, Frankston South
- 2013 Art with Heart, Truly Deeply, Charity 21, South Melbourne
- 2013 Art Red Hill, Red Hill Consolidated School, Red Hill
- 2012 Mt.Eliza Art & Design Show, MENPS Mt.Eliza
- 2012 Derinya Art Show, Derinya Primary School, Frankston South
- 2012 Art Red hill, Red Hill Consolidated School, Red Hill
- TOORAK LADIES COLLEGE - CURRENTLY RESIDING
- TOORAK LADIES COLLEGE - 2016
Select Private Collections & Commissions
- Private collections in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Hong Kong, Singapore, Wales & San Tropez.
- 2017 Herald Sun
- 2015 Herald Sun
- 2014 February Edition “Home Beautiful”
- 2013 Ishimodo “We love Mondays”
- 2012 Frankie & Swiss
Out of stock
Debbie Mackenzie – GraciousSOLD Read more