Susan Angwin Artist - PaintingsSusan Angwin is well respected in the art industry as an Artist, Art Teacher, and previously a Gallery owner and curator. After working for many years in her studio in the Perth hills with a backdrop of bush, hills and river, Susan relocated to a coastal location to feed off the colour and movement in the ocean. The natural environment is a constant source of inspiration for her abstract expressionism paintings. Having explored representational painting in the past, Susan now draws from her wealth of knowledge and allows her painting process to come from more of a spiritual and emotional place.
Susan Angwin - Artist BiographyEstablished artist Susan Angwin moved permanently to the south coast in June of 2013 to take up residence in the magic of Little Grove, set among the beautiful trees of the Torndirrup National Park and looking across the harbour toward the city of Albany. Originally from Sydney, Susan moved west in 1984, living and working in Roleystone, in the hills of Perth. Her studio idyllically located along the Canning River. Whilst busy running Maxwell's Fine Art Gallery, Susan would make her way south as often as possible to soak up the inspiring coastline and old growth forests. Now, living the dream, settling into the local art community of the southern region, including a studio at the Vancouver Art Centre for the first two years where she also teaches. A Solo exhibition last July at the centre followed a shared exhibition during the Art trail last October. Recently, Susan moved her studio to the magnificent region of the Porongurups. Nestled into the hillside, a secluded, peaceful place for creative work to emerge. Constantly inspired by the magic of the world around her Susan works in all mediums in a range of techniques exploring and surrendering to the creative process. Her artwork can be found in many private and public collections, both nationally and internationally with a regular supply of new work in WA galleries both in Perth and Margaret River.
- Date of Birth: 24th March 1947, Sydney - New South Wales - Australia
Art Education1964 Full Time - Fine Art Studies - North Sydney Fine Art College
- Education in - Painting - Sculpture - Life Drawing - Illustration Calligraphy - Design - Art History
- Diploma of Art and Design- specialising in Painting - Drawing -Design Art History
- Cnr Brookton Hwy & Soldiers Rd Roleystone W.A. The Gallery exhibited both Susan's work and that of other established Artists.
- Exhibiting her work at the Gallery on a regular basis and teaching painting and drawing in all mediums in the attached studio.
- 1998 - Susan spent 5 months traveling in Europe, painting ,drawing and absorbing the Great Masters. The Netherlands -England -France -Italy - Germany.
- 2008 - Spent 2 months based in France (Lyon). Visiting Switzerland, Spain, Brittany, and the hartes Alpes on the Italian border. Time spent drawing, painting and photographing, creating an exhibition on return
- 1999 - 99,2000,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08, Maxwells Fine Art Gallery Monthly - Solo or Shared
- 1999 - 99,2000,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11 Private School Annual Exhibitions Hale - St Hilda - Mazenod - Guilford
- 1999 - 99,2000,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11 District - Council - Exhibitions Minnawarra - Stirling - Northam - New Norcia Le Salle
- 1999 - 99,2000,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,-09,10,11 Charity Exhibitions - Donations Cancer Foundation - Save Ningaloo - Starlight Foundation Wilderness Society - Make a Wish Foundation - St. Christopher Anglican Church - Telethon
- 2008 until 2011. Aurora Natural Health Centre. Continuous, revolving exhibition.
- August 2012 Kalamunda Fine Art Gallery, Shared exhibition with Artist Maureen den Haan. Ceramics and paintings.
- Susan's work is represented in both public and private collections in Western Australia, Eastern Australia, England, Europe, Singapore and Ireland.
- Locally at Jah Roc Gallery, Margaret River
- Vancouver Art Centre, Albany
Art Related Employment
- 1998,99,2000,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08, - Responsible for co-coordinating a new exhibition at the Gallery every four weeks. This includes communicating with the artists, choosing suitable work, arranging advertising and promotional material, designing and hanging the exhibition, ticketing and preparing artists Profiles, office duties including book keeping and accounts.
- 2009 -2011 Artist in residence at Aurora Natural Health Centre, 2 Mount Street Roleystone. Western Australia. Exhibiting her work at the Gallery on a regular basis. Teaching remained a central part of Susan’s focus, maintaining four classes a week, with eight students per class.
- Teaching all painting mediums - Watercolour - Oil - Pastel - Acrylic Drawing techniques, including Life Drawing - Four classes a week.
- Having had a lifelong involvement in the arts, Susan's work has grown, most notably in the transition from Representational to Abstract Expressionism. Focusing on the emotional experience of the subject and expressing this using the reservoir of knowledge acquired over many years.
- "A relationship is quickly established with the materials and surface with which I am working, combined with the Spiritual Essence of my being to create an original and exciting painting." - Susan Angwin
Susan Angwin – Magic Garden Series$2,800.00 Purchase
Out of stock
Susan Angwin – Meditation in Motion XII$2,500.00 Read more
Susan Angwin – Cast Shadows II$1,800.00 Purchase
Susan Angwin – Cast Shadows I$1,800.00 Purchase
Susan Angwin – Hotel de Nice, Paris$2,800.00 Purchase