Rick Cook - Glass ArtistContemporary glass artist Rick Cook never tires of the excitement he feels when opening the kiln after a session of glassblowing. Rick’s passion for glass ignited in his early 20’s which led him on a long journey of learning the craft from many Australian and International mentors. Drawing inspiration from the endless beauty of the WA landscape, his shapes are strikingly simple, juxtaposing the kaleidoscope of colours he creates inside. With a perfectionist eye for detail, Rick Cook’s cold worked finishes are exceptional, and complete the delivery of inspirational glass art.
Artist StatementGlass is my passion and has been since the very first time I laid eyes on it in it’s molten form. Nothing soothes my soul more than creating beautiful glass objects for people to enjoy. I am proudly West Australian, born in the Pilbara long before the mining boom put it on the map. As such, I draw much of my inspiration from the rugged beauty of the North West landscape of our amazing state. Whether it be the pristine waters of the Ningaloo Reef, rock formations in the Pilbara or our gorgeous gorges meandering through the stark landscape. I love it all and constantly find myself striving to develop my next series of work. I hope my art brings a little more beauty into peoples lives and homes.
- William R. Cook (Rick) Born in Dampier, Western Australia in 1972
- Rick moved with his family to Perth in 1980 where he completed his schooling then moving to Margaret River, Western Australia in 1993.
- 1994 – 2002 Melting Pot Glass Studio, Margaret River, Western Australia
- Under the instruction of Gerry Reilly and Kent LeGrand, Rick was introduced to hot glass and there began his journey. Beginning as a part time assistant, Rick gained his skills and worked his way to Production Manager in 1998. While maintaining his position at the Melting Pot, Rick was encouraged to create his own style and glass pieces and also had the opportunity work closely with other glass artists.
- 1997 – 2002 Peter Bowles, Curtin University, Western Australia
- Assisted Peter part time with both his production pieces and Exhibition pieces.
- 1999 – 2000 Neil Wilkin, Frome Somerset, UK
- As part of a large team of assistants Rick worked closely with Neil Wilkin to Produce other European artists work including Peter Bremers and Floris Meydam (Netherlands)
- 2000 – 2002 David Hay, Edith Cowan University, Western Australia
- Assisted David part time with both his production pieces and Exhibition pieces.
- 2002 – 2003 Eileen Gordon & Grant Donaldson Gordon Glass Studio, Victoria
- 2003 – 2007 Occasionally assisting David Hay and Peter Bowles whilst concentrating on the development of his own work.
- 2008 – 2013 Working from his own purpose built studio full time.
- 2017- onwards Hiring studio time in Perth for hot work and cold working his pieces at his home based studio.
- 2001 South West Survey-Bunbury Regional Art Galleries, WA
- 2002 Willyabrup Art Prize-Margaret River Arts Council, WA
- 2003 Best of the West-Kirra Australia Galleries, Federation Square, Victoria
- 2012 ‘New Forms’, Solo Exhibition, Gunyulgup Galleries, WA
- 2012 Biodiversity Showcase – Chevron, WAAwRD
Awards, Commissions - Selected
- Worsley Alumina Award-South West Survey, York Art Prize, Chevron, Rio Tinto, Western Australian Planning Commission
Out of stock
Rick Cook – Dreaming, Ningaloo SeriesSOLD Read more
Out of stock
Rick Cook – Crystal Wave Aquamarine largeSOLD Read more
Out of stock
Rick Cook – Fish FormSOLD Read more