Philip Adams – Artist Biography
“My primary interest is in the Australian landscape and its flora and fauna. I take great delight in exploring its patterns, colours and details.
What I want to capture is the excitement of exploring a new landscape. Everything is to be discovered, the senses are sharpened and each vista is full of untold mysteries and beauties from the minute mosses, fungi, wildflowers and insects to panoramic views of forests, cliffs and mountains. My practice of meditation renews my vision. Coming from that point of inner calm it is easy to appreciate the exquisite beauty of the natural environment. I want to share this through painting. In my larger works I use vertical divisions as this format allows me the freedom to combine my images I choose” Philip Adams
Born: Brighton (Melbourne) 1st June 1947.
- 1965 – 68 Caulfield Institute. Diploma of Painting.
- 1968 Married Patsy Tovey – Lived in Melbourne
- 1969 – 70 Lived and painted full time in London.
- 1969 – 70 Visited Galleries in Europe. Hitch hiked around Morocco inspired by indigenous craft.
- 1970 Traveled overland, England to India. Dabbled in ink painting.
- 1971 Overseas 11 months in USA & two four month trips to India.
- 1972 – 95 Part time Artist & Part time Art teacher Maryborough Technical College Victoria.
- 1972 Built mud brick home at Bung Bong, Central Victoria
- 1975 – 82 Children born – Ananda (Dec.) Turiya, Rohin, Camille, & Amilia
- 1983 Built Studio and resume painting seriously.
- 1984 Lose studio and paintings in Maryborough bush fire. Rebuilt studio. Resume painting.
- 1996 Leave part time teaching. Full time Professional artist.
- 1970 Solo Exhibition, Compendium Two Gallery, in London.
- 1970 Joint Exhibition, Compendium Galleries Birmingham, England.
- 1989 Solo Exhibition, Wallace Bros. Gallery Castlemaine Victoria.
- 1990 Solo Exhibition, Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melbourne.
- 1991 Joint Shows, Exhibition buildings Melbourne. Wallace Gallery.
- 1992 Solo Exhibition, Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melbourne.
- 1993 Joint Exhibition, Qdos Gallery Lorne, in Victoria.
- 1994 Joint Exhibition, Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melbourne.
- 1995 Joint Exhibition, Qdos Gallery Lorne, in Victoria.
- 1996 Solo Exhibition, Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melbourne.
- 1997 Joint Exhibition, Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melbourne.
- 1997 Two man Exhibition Framed Gallery Darwin.
- 1998 Joint Exhibition, Forest Gallery, New South Wales.
- 1998 Artist in Residence Mulgara Gallery, Uluru Northern Territory
- 1999 Joint Exhibition Herons Gallery Castlemaine & Coolart Homestead Somers.
- 2000 Solo Exhibition Hobsons Choice Gallery Queenscliff
- 2000 Artist in Residence Mulgara Gallery, Uluru Northern Territory.
- 2001 Wildlife Art Society winner of Innovative & Imaginative work
- 2002 Solo Exhibition Red Hill Gallery 141. Solo Show Melbourne Exhibition Building.
- 2003 Solo Exhibition Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melb. glass by Turiya Orme & Jewellry by Amilia Adams.
- 2003 Joint Exhibition Herons Gallery Castlemaine.
- 2004 Joint Exhibition Eltham Wiregrass Gallery Melbourne.
- 2005 Joint Exhibition Herons Gallery Castlemaine.Three Masters Exhibition Avoca.
- 2005 Solo Exhibition, Ararat Regional Gallery. Joint Exhibition, Wiregrass Wildlife. Joint Exhib.Lt Malop Gallery.
- 2006 Joint Exhibition, Maryborough Regional Gallery. “Three Generations’ P&P Adams G Adams, A Adams T Orme & R.Adams.
- 2007 Joint Exhibitions, Herons Gallery, Castlemaine Arts Festival & Little Malop Fine Art Gallery, Geelong, Victoria.
- 2007 Joint Exhibition, Maryborough Regional Gallery, Victoria. “Three Generations Continue” (as above & C Adams)2007 Prasad Auction, Sydney.
- 2008 Joint Exhibition, Herons Gallery Castlemaine. Layers of Landscape.
- 2008 Joint Exhibition, Maryborough Regional Gallery, Victoria. Nexus.
- 2008 Joint Exhibition, Metropolis Gallery Geelong. Rural.
- 2009 -2010 Prasad Auction, Melbourne & Sydney.
- 2010 Joint Exhibitions, Metropolis Gallery. Art Seven. Maryborough Regional Gallery.
- 2011 Joint Exhibition, Herons Gallery, Castlemaine Arts Festival.
- 2012 Joint Exhibition, Metropolis Gallery, Nature: 3 Ways of Seeing.
- 2013 Joint Exhibition, Herons Gallery, Castlemaine Arts Festival.
- 2014 Joint Exhibitions, Maryborough Regional Gallery Small Treasures Big Ideas. Herons Gallery, Castlemaine Arts Festival.
- 2015 Joint Exhibition, Herons Art Gallery Castlemaine Arts Festival.
- In private collections in England, France, Germany, Japan, USA, Canada, and Australia.
- Crown Casino Melbourne 16 Paintings. City Coast Credit Union Wollongong.
- Reserve Bank of Australia New York collection.
- Ballarat Fine Art Gallery.
- ‘Artistic Insights’ Harcourt, Brace & Javanovich. Australia 1991.
- ‘Craft Arts’ International Issue 37 1996.
- ‘Australian Artist’ No. 177 March 1999.
- ‘International Artist’ No.6 May 1999.
- ‘Australian Artist’ No.221 November 2002