Peter Carrigy – Wood Artist
Highly awarded and collected wood artist Peter Carrigy has explored and experimented with his chosen medium with great success. He creates functional or decorative objects using native timber collected from coastal and outback areas, often combining other natural mediums such as Grasstree resin, paper pulp and ochre. Nature inspires Peter both artistically and spiritually which reflects in his Artworks.
Peter Carrigy – Artist Biography
Lives Adelaide, S.A.
Expressions of the Australian landscape combining different media with native timbers, (glass,iron, paper pulp, ochre, paint and natural resins). Functional or decorative objects in wood. The ‘ancient Australia Landscape’ inspires me artistically and spiritually. I utilise native wood collected from coastal and outback regions which is felled by fire, wind, rain and old age.
- 2011 Collector Space ‘Bush Marks’ – Jam Factory Studios Galleries Shops, Adelaide
- 1999 Purple Space Display Jam Factory Contemporary Craft and Design Centre, Adelaide
- 1998 Feature Display Object, Customs House Centre for Contemporary Craft, Sydney
- 1988 Wood Sculpture Studio 50, South Australia House, London
- 2010 Coast to Coast Bunbury Regional Art Galleries, W.A.
- 2009 Masterpieces in Wood III Narek Galleries, The Old Church, Tanja N.S.W.
- 2007 Masterpieces in Wood II Narek Galleries, The Old Church, Tanja N.S.W.
- 2005 The Collectors Exhibition Neogallery, Brisbane, Queensland
- 2005 Masterpieces in Wood Narek Galleries, The Old Church, Tanja N.S.W.2004 Sacred Soil Spirit Sea Marion Cultural Centre, Adelaide S.A
- 2003 Foyer Display TarraWarra Museum of Art, Healesville, Melbourne Vic
- 2003 Something Special (National) Bungendore Wood Works Gallery N.S.W.
- 2002 Crate Expectations (Wood Art Award) Tweed River Gallery, Murwillumbah N.S.W.
- 2002 An Eclectic View Kirra Australia Gallery, Melbourne Vic
- 2002 Mokkumto Dept Store Aust-Korea Foundation Seoul, Craftwest, Perth W.A.
- 2001 Contemporary Wood Art SOFA Chicago, U.S.A. Narek Galleries Australia
- 2000 Contemporary Wood Art SOFA Chicago, U.S.A. Narek Galleries Australia
- 1999 Contemporary Wood SOFA Chicago, U.S.A. Narek Galleries Australia
- 1998 Supporting Display (New Worlds from Old – Australian and American Landscape Painting in the 19th Century) National Gallery Canberra
- 1993 Sister State Exhibition (Peter Carrigy – Milton Moon), RDK Centre Okayama, Japan
- 1993 For Tomorrow (juried) Woodworkers assn of N.S.W. Macquarie Library, Sydney N.S.W.
- 1991 Asia Pacific Craft Conference Kyoto Museum, Japan, Craft Australia
- 1989 Redgum Crafts of Necessity Touring Exhibition, Jam Factory, Adelaide S.A.
- Indoor Sculpture Prize, Adelaide Airport Brighton Jetty Classic Sculptures (2009) S.A
- Habitat multicultural art project, Marion City Council S.A. (2005)
- City of Adelaide Sprint Regatta, Perpetual Trophies
- Adelaide International Triathlon Trophies
- Adelaide Festival City – Marathon Trophies
- Australian Institute of Landscape Architects – Annual Award, Canberra A.C.T.
- Sculpture Prize – Wildlife Arts Society of Australasia, Melbourne Vic
- Sculptural Body Piece – ‘ Urbanity Game ‘ National Architects Conference, Adelaide S.A.
- Official gift presentation – Governor Nagano, Okayama Prefecture Japan from the govt of S.A.
- Eltham Shire Council Library, Melbourne Vic
- Jubilee 150 Sculpture – Woods & Forests Dept S.A.
- Dept of Prime Minister & Cabinet Australia and the Governments of China and Japan
- Henry Kendall Collection of Fine Wood Arts & Crafts, Forestry Commission of N.S.W.
- Private Collections: Australia, Japan, France, Spain, Germany, Fiji, New Zealand, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand,
- U.K, Switzerland, Ireland and U.S.A. notably: Horace ‘ Woody ‘ Brock, Board of Directors – Metropolitan Museum of Art New York; The Collectors Circle, New York Craft Museum and Rodger Ford U.S.A
PUBLICATIONS FEATURING THE ARTIST (RECENT)
- 2011 World Sculpture News – feature article: ‘A Sculptor For The Australian Environment’ by Christine Nicholls (feb issue)
- 2005 Australian Wood Review – ‘Masterpieces in Wood’ exhibition (issue 47)
- 2001 Australian Country Style – feature article: ‘Dream Landscapes’
- 2000 Craft Arts International – feature article: ‘Bush Marks’, by Dr Noris Ioannou (issue 50)
- 2000 Woodwork magazine U.S.A. – Collectors Choice SOFA, Chicago, by Terry Martin
JahRoc Galleries currently do no have any woodwork for sale by Peter Carrigy – make an enquiry